Saturday, March 10, 2007

Author I Admire - I - Shobha De

I have been expressing my views on various social concerns over a period of so many months. There was so much happening in and around me that it was more than tempting to write about them. It sidelined the other thing that I am passionate about… books. I love to read a wide variety of books and like to try out books written by various authors. So I thought that I will start off today by discussing about books and authors and hope to follow up with more of the same.

For some reason I am compelled to write my first thoughts on this subject not about a book but about a lekhika ….. a writer …. whose books and articles I read with avid interest. She started her career in the field of film journalism and till date has authored many books and articles. Her views on varied subjects and her candid way of putting things across has made her one of my favorite authors. And she is …… Shobha De.

To be very honest I did not think much about what she wrote and how she wrote it. For a very long time I had the perception that all her writings would have the color of films since she came from that background. But one day I read an article penned by her in the Times of India. The content of that article stayed with me for sometime and that was the beginning of my change in perception about her writings and I read other articles written by her too. And the journey continued…….

I find her to be a very lucid writer … and a writer with a bite… and whenever possible likes to call a spade a spade. She puts forward her views and thoughts on a subject very emphatically, honestly and boldly. The two facts which I find very endearing are her boldness and honesty….. a deadly combination I must say…. but then as a writer I think she does practice the art of diplomacy where-ever required. Her style of writing and putting things across has grown on me gradually and I am a very appreciative reader of her books and articles….. which may be on anything….. like the biting article she wrote about the fact that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie wanted to adopt an Indian child and name him/her India … or her book titled Spouse where she takes a very practical, honest though softer look at a husband-wife relationship. She was bold enough not to hide her experiences in her relationship…. and although she restricted her pointers to the marital relationship only, I find most of her pointers to hold good for any relationship.

Honest, bold and a beautiful woman with a bite… that is Shobha De for you. And in me she has a staunch fan.

No comments: